I love having healthy desserts around when I’m craving something sweet. Paleo zucchini cake really does the trick, especially since this recipe is high in protein and fiber and relatively low in total carbohydrates and calories. It just has a slight sweetness from the maple syrup so it is great for anyone who does not like their sweets too sweet!
Start out by getting out your food processor or hand grater. Grate 2 medium/small zucchinis to equal about the 2 cups needed for this recipe. Place the grated zucchini into a bowl and save it until the end. Next, switch out the mixing blade on your food processor or just switch to using the blender if you don’t have a food processor. Add your dry ingredients and pulse until they are well combined. Add your wet ingredients and pulse until they are well combined. Lastly, throw in the grated zucchini and blend for about 30-seconds. That’s it! You have your delicious batter.
Unfortunately, I do not have all of my baking equipment with me since I just moved to a new home. I admit, I had to bake the batter in a pizza pan [haha], but it tastes just as yummy! Ideally, use a 9 x 5 inch baking dish for this recipe…but if you don’t have one, just use whatever pan you have lying around and adjust the baking time as needed. If you go for the pizza pan [not recommended], bake for about 23 to 25 minutes. If you use a 9 x 5 inch baking dish, bake for about 55 to 60 minutes or until the top begins to brown.
Use this paleo zucchini cake as an on-the-go breakfast or as a light dessert or snack after a meal! Store it in a container in the refrigerator.
This recipe complies with the following diets:
- Paleo – Yes
- SCD – Yes, but use honey instead of maple syrup
- Low FODMAP – Yes, but stick to 1 serving
- Grain Free – Yes
- Gluten Free – Yes
- Dairy Free – Yes
- SIBO-Specific Diet – Yes, but use honey instead of maple syrup
- Keto – Yes – 1 serving has 3g net carbohydrates
This recipe makes 12 servings:
Per serving: 63 calories, 4g carbohydrate, 3g protein, 4g fat, 1g fiber
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cup grated zucchini
- Preheat oven to 350F. Combine the almond flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda in a food processor, blender, or hand mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs, maple syrup and vanilla extract and pulse until well combined.
- Add in the grated zucchini and pulse until well combined, for about 30-seconds.
- Place the batter into a greased pan*
- Bake at 350F for 55 to 60 minutes, or until the top begins to brown. Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool completely.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator.
- *Use a 9x5 inch baking dish