The Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) diet is a nutrition program designed by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride for people trying to heal a leaky gut. While it is effective at this task, it is also quite challenging to follow, especially for the minimum of one year as recommended. By having an arsenal of delicious recipes, the GAPS diet is much easier to follow long-term. Try out this delicious and moist GAPS-friendly banana bread recipe!
Combine the coconut flour, cinnamon and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and grease up a small loaf pan.
In a separate bowl, mash up a fairly ripe medium size banana with a fork. Next, add the eggs, sweetener and butter oil.
If you are following the Paleo or dairy free diet, all you need to do is replace the butter with coconut oil!
Combine the wet and dry ingredients together and then pour the batter into the greased loaf pan. I topped the banana bread with crushed sliced almonds to add extra flavor and texture. This step is optional or you may add another nut variety like pecans or walnuts. Lastly, bake the banana bread for 50-minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Allow the loaf to cool slightly for slicing.
This recipe complies with the following diets:
- Paleo – Yes
- SCD – Yes
- Low FODMAP – No
- Grain Free – Yes
- Gluten Free – Yes
- Dairy Free – Yes – Replace the butter with any type of oil like coconut oil
- SIBO-Specific Diet – Yes
- Keto – No
This recipe makes 8 servings:
Per serving (1/8 recipe): 134 calories, 16g carb, 4g protein, 7g fat, 3g fiber
- 6 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup honey*
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter**
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans)
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a small 7.5x3.75-inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the coconut flour, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mash up the banana with a fork. It is okay to have small chunks. Add the eggs, honey and butter or oil to the mashed banana. Mix until well combined.
- Mix together the wet and dry ingredients. Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Sprinkle the top layer with chopped nuts.
- Bake for about 50-minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool slightly before slicing.
- *May replace with cane sugar or maple syrup as needed in a 1:1 ratio
- **May replace with coconut or other oil if following a dairy free diet