I know if you’re anything like me that you LOOOVVVEEEE dessert, but hate that feeling after you eat too much of it. That’s why I have a passion for developing healthier dessert recipes so that you really can have your cake and eat it, too!
This delicious, decadent chai coconut bar is actually low in carbohydrates and contains absolutely no sugar, no grains, and no dairy. So…what the heck is in it? How can you make a dessert without those essential ingredients? My theory is, if there’s a will, there’s a way!
This recipe utilizes two paleo-friendly, low FODMAP-friendly, low carbohydrate “flours” from both coconut and almond. Coconut flour (per 2 tablespoons) contains 60 calories, 2 grams of fat, 2 grams of protein, 8 grams of carbs, and 5 grams fiber (woah, that’s a lot of fiber!). Almond flour (per 1/4 cup) contains 160 calories, 14 grams of fat, 6 grams of protein, 6 grams of carb, and 3 grams of fiber. I like to use the Bob’s Red Mill brand, but you can find these flours at most major grocery chains, typically in the baking section or the gluten-free section of the store.
While there is no sugar in this dessert, it still tastes naturally sweet from flavors like chai tea (usually contains cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, etc.), coconut, and glycerin.
I’ll admit, glycerin was a pretty new ingredient for me. I’ve heard of glycerin soap, but I didn’t think of glycerin as an ingredient to use in baking. This food-grade baking glycerin (brands like Frontier or Now Foods) is derived from vegetable oils and acts as a sugar alcohol; therefore, it does not spike your blood sugar levels like regular sugar. It is about 60% as sweet as regular sugar and FYI it still contains calories!
You’ll be sure to love this better dessert recipe and if you do, write me a comment! Let me know what you think.
This recipe makes 12 bars.
Per bar: 222 calories, 13g carb, 3g protein, 18g fat, 4g fiber
- 3 large, organic eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, canned, full fat coconut milk*
- 1/2 cup brewed chai tea (from 1 tea bag)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted to liquid**
- 1/3 cup vegetable glycerin
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon of coconut flour
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut shreds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly coat an 8x8-inch baking pan with coconut oil or baking spray.
- Combine eggs, milk, chai tea, oil, and glycerin to a stand or hand mixer.
- At low speed, add almond flour and then coconut flour. Then add shredded coconut. Mix until it is consistent throughout.
- Pour mixture into 8x8 in baking pan and bake for 40-min or until golden around edges.
- Remove the pan from oven and cool completely, for at least 30-minutes. Cut into squares. Keep refrigerated until serving.
- *Natural Value Organic Coconut Milk contains no additives
- **Heat coconut oil in the microwave for ~20-seconds so it can easily blend as a liquid into the recipe.