Granola is a pretty popular breakfast item because it is so delicious, but the problem is that it is not always so nutritious.
While granola is often classified as a health food, the calories, processed sugar, and unhealthy vegetable oil are typically through the roof! Did you know a typical serving of granola is only about 1/3 of a cup? Accidentally pour too much of that granola cereal and you’ll certainly surpass your recommended sugar intake for the day!
Try out this healthier gluten free granola recipe I developed so at least you know you’re getting a more nutritious, balanced option.
This gluten free granola is not free of calories, sugar, or fat, but the ingredients are wholesome and more nutrient-dense than the average granola you find on the shelves. Additionally, this granola is gluten free and approved for the low FODMAP diet. Stick to about 1/3 cup serving and add it to the top of your favorite plain yogurt for extra crunch and flavor.
Combine all of the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Add the melted coconut oil, pure maple syrup in a separate bowl. Mix the two bowls together until well combined.
Preheat the oven to 250F. On a large baking sheet, pour the granola evenly, spreading it all the way to the edges. Bake for 75-minutes, tossing it every 30-minutes for more even browning. It should come out smelling amazing with a nice toasty brown color!
After the granola has cooled, place it in an airtight container and store at room temperature. It should stay fresh for a few weeks. Enjoy!
This recipe complies with the following diets:
- Paleo – No
- SCD – No
- Low FODMAP – Yes – If you just eat 1 serving per day (1/3 cup)
- Grain Free – No
- Gluten Free – Yes
- Dairy Free – Yes
- SIBO-Specific Diet – No
- Keto – No
This recipe makes 14 servings.
Per serving: 225 calories, 23g carb, 4g protein, 14g fat, 4g fiber
- 3 cup gluten free old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped or slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Add all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl except for the oil and the maple syrup. Mix the ingredients until well combined.
- In a small bowl, mix together the oil and the maple syrup. Pour this wet mixture over top of the dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Pour the granola onto the baking sheet and spread it out evenly all the way to the edges. Bake for 75-minutes and toss it around every 30-minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool.