You know that feeling when you’re following a nutrition plan and doing great, but all of a sudden a craving hits you like a ton of bricks? Well, for those who have ever followed the paleo diet you may be familiar with that feeling, particularly strong cravings for BREAD! No need to fear because the Paleo Sweet Potato Bread of your dreams is here to save the day.
All of the ingredients should be staples if you’re on the paleo diet. You’ll need eggs, sweet potatoes, coconut oil, honey or maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, baking soda, and coconut and almond flour. You can sweeten the recipe up and make it more of a dessert-bread by adding cinnamon and/or pure vanilla extract.
I recommend baking or boiling the sweet potatoes ahead of time so that your sweet potato mash is all ready to go when you’re putting this recipe together. I like to buy a big bag of sweet potatoes from Trader Joe’s, fork some holes in them and throw them on a baking sheet.
Bake at 400 degrees F until tender to the touch. Boiling them will cook them a bit quicker though. Be sure to remove the skin from the sweet potatoes before mashing them up.
This recipe also complies with the low FODMAP diet as long as you make a few simple changes:
- Use maple syrup in place of honey as the sweetener
- Skip the coconut flour and instead use 3 extra tablespoons of almond flour. 1/4 cup of almond flour per serving complies with the low FODMAP diet. Each slice of bread contains <1/4 cup.
- Remember, sweet potatoes are only high FODMAP if you consume more than 1/2 cup per serving. The whole loaf of bread only uses 1 cup of mashed sweet potato.
This recipe makes 12 servings.
Per serving: 146 calories, 7g carb, 5g protein, 12g fat, 2g fiber
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan.
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl and whisk together. Then, add the sweet potato, oil, sweetener, and vinegar. Mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients including the flours, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Blend the wet and dry ingredients together without over-mixing. Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Bake for 50-minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Allow the bread to cool for 10-minutes. Then, flip it out of the pan and slice into 1/2-inch thick pieces.
- Per slice (1/12 recipe): 146 calories, 7g carb, 5g protein, 12g fat, 2g fiber