At least once a week I find myself at my favorite little cafe in my neighborhood, Swami’s Cafe.
Without hesitation, they know exactly what I plan to order. The Tropical Shrimp Salad is heavenly. It may be my favorite salad of all time.
I decided to recreate it so that I could enjoy it more regularly than once a week, and to share the wealth along to you!
Marinate the shrimp.
In a small mixing bowl, toss together the extra virgin olive oil, fresh lime juice, parsley. coconut aminos, honey, salt and pepper. Pour this mixture over the shrimp and allow the flavors to marinade for at least 30-minutes in the refrigerator.
Make the vinaigrette.
This will be the make it or break it step for having the best salad ever! I made the dressing in my coffee grinder as I was just feeling too lazy to break out the whole food processor.
Toss together fresh basil, chopped garlic, extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper. Puree the mixture until you get a beautiful, bright green vinaigrette.
Putting It All Together
Like I said, this salad will literally allow you to eat every color of the rainbow.
Start prepping each of the salad components:
- Slice the cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, and kiwi
- Wash the fresh berries including blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries (depending on what you can find fresh)
- Get together your mandarin oranges, sprouts, and walnuts
- Grill the marinated shrimp until slightly browned on each side
Now, construct the salad. Carefully place each of the components on top of a bed of mixed greens or arugula. Toss the basil vinaigrette dressing on top.
This recipe complies with the following diets:
- Paleo – Yes
- SCD – Yes
- Low FODMAP – No
- Grain Free – Yes
- Gluten Free – Yes
- Dairy Free – Yes
- SIBO-Specific Diet – No
- Keto – No
This recipe makes 2 servings
Each serving (with the dressing) includes: 691 calories, 48g carbohydrates, 23g protein, 50g fat, and 9g fiber.
- 1/2 lb raw shrimp
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Hint of salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh garlic
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups mixed greens or arugula
- 1 cup fresh mixed berries (i.e. strawberries, blueberries, blackberries)
- 1/2 cup broccoli sprouts
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 kiwi, sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced cucumbers
- 1/4 cup mandarin oranges
- 2-3 tablespoons walnuts
- For the shrimp, mix together the oil, lime, parsley, coconut aminos, honey, salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the shrimp in a medium bowl and allow the shrimp to marinade for at least 30-minutes. Then, grill the shrimp until slightly browned on each side. Set aside.
- For the dressing, add all of the ingredients into a coffee grinder or food processor. Puree until mostly smooth. Set aside.
- For the salad, carefully arrange all of the fruits and veggies on top of a bed of fresh greens. This recipe makes 2 portions so plate each salad separately for ideal presentation! Then, place the grilled shrimp in the middle of the salad. Pour the dressing on top.