This vibrant, flavorful, Carrot, Chickpea Moroccan Salad is delish!
Plan on getting addicted to this anything-but-boring salad recipe and add it to your weekly rotation.
While the salad ingredients are quite simple, it’s the salad dressing that will “Wow” you. The dressing is packed with Moroccan spices like cinnamon, cumin, coriander, ginger, lemon, and orange.
Recipe Quick Tips
Follow these simple recipe tips for a flawless recipe each time!
- Use your food processor’s grating blade to shred the carrots at home to cut down on the cost of buying pre-shredded carrots.
- Toasted slivered almonds have much more flavor and crunch than the raw variety. I buy mine at Trader Joe’s. If you can’t find them toasted, just pour them onto a dry saute pan on low heat for a few minutes until slightly browned.
- Zest the lemon and orange prior to juicing them. Avoid zesting into the white portion of the peel because it tastes quite bitter.
- If you dislike cilantro, swap it out with fresh mint leaves.
- I use jarred minced ginger in this recipe, which helps save time peeling and mincing fresh ginger root. You can also use dry ginger powder, but cut down by half the amount.
This recipe makes 4 servings.
Per 1 serving: 270 calories, 8 grams protein, 37 grams carbohydrate, 8 grams fiber, 11 grams fat, 88% RDA for vitamin A, 15% RDA for vitamin C
- Paleo- yes, but only if you exclude the chickpeas as this diet doesn’t allow any legumes
- Vegan/vegetarian- yes
- Low FODMAP- no, as it contains shallots and garlic
- Gluten free- yes
- Grain free- yes
- Dairy free- yes
- SCD- yes, but only if you exclude the chickpeas and it’s not advised to use this recipe during the introductory phase
- 3 cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup currants
- ¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1, 15oz can garbanzo beans, strained and rinsed
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tabelspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tabelspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tabelspoon fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tabelspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon coriander
- A dash of ground cloves
- Combine all of the salad ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour over the salad and mix until well combined.
- Chill in the refrigerator and serve cold.