There’s nothing better than a quick, healthy, tasty salad when the temperatures are starting rise! Salads don’t have to be boring iceberg lettuce, flavorless tomatoes, and low fat ranch dressing. Make them fun, including various textures, colors, and dressings and I promise you are more likely to eat them!
I like to purchase bagged shredded broccoli slaw (find it in the refrigerated section of the produce department) and create fun and colorful salads. This salad can be put together in less than 10-minutes and makes for the perfect side dish or vegetarian lunch option. Try adding garbanzo beans, tofu, or diced chicken breast for an extra protein boost.
A quick tip on the raw beets in this recipe- with a vegetable peeler or paring knife, remove the outer, dirty layer of the beet. Then, slice it in half and place the flat surface of the beet directly on your cutting board. Make thin slices of the beet and stack them on top of one another. In batches on 3-4 slices, create your “matchstick” cut by making thin slices in the other direction. Here’s a little video in case you need some more guidance.
- 1 bag of broccoli slaw
- 1/2 medium Vidalia onion, small dice
- 1/2 medium raw beet, thinly sliced (cut into matchsticks)
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos*
- 1 pinch of sea salt (to taste)
- Add the broccoli slaw, onion, beet, and almonds into a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Dress with sea salt, oil, and coconut aminos and toss until well combined.
- *If you do not have coconut aminos, replace with 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce