Last night, I came home from dinner and just wanted to finish off the night with something sweet. I rummaged through the cupboards to find NOTHING appealing. And then, I saw the bag of rice, a staple in most pantries, and decided to throw together this simple Coconut Rice Pudding recipe!
It hit the spot and I was able to go to sleep satisfied.
Ingredients include rice, coconut milk, walnuts, vanilla extract, maple syrup, cinnamon, cardamom, and sea salt. Keep in mind of the emulsifying and preservative agents when you buy canned coconut milk. Here’s a great buying guide to various coconut milk brands.
Nutrition facts (per serving, 1/4 of the recipe): 375 calories, 21.5 grams of fat, 42.5 grams of carbohydrates, 3 grams of protein.
*Make sure your coconut milk does not contain inulin.
If you’re on a low-calorie or low-fat diet, try using almond milk or light coconut milk to replace the full fat canned coconut milk in this recipe. Also, you can add 1 cup of the coconut milk with 1 cup of water as an additional option.
You may use any white rice you have around the house, not just Jasmine.
If you don’t have cardamom, it’s okay to use any of your favorite spices like nutmeg, cloves or ground ginger.
- 1 cup Jasmine white rice
- 2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a medium saucepan, add the rice and coconut milk over medium-high heat, bringing the milk to a boil.
- Meanwhile, mix in the spices, syrup and sea salt to the saucepan.
- After the mixture comes to a boil, drop the heat to low, cover with a lid, and simmer for 15-minutes.
- Remove the rice pudding from the heat and mix in the walnuts.