Who doesn’t love BBQ chicken? Most people can’t resist it! Try out my BBQ Chicken Casserole recipe if you’re looking for the perfect one-dish dinner that will please the whole family.
This simple recipe provides a complete meal since it contains protein from the chicken, egg, and cheese and also contains a serving of veggies from the spaghettis squash, garlic and onions. Combine them all into one dish with your favorite BBQ sauce and you’ll have dinner ready in no time!
How to Make BBQ Chicken Casserole
I used Annie’s Organic Sweet & Spicy BBQ Sauce, but feel free to use one that you already have at home. If you are following a Paleo or Whole30 diet plan, you can modify this recipe by using Tessemae’s Paleo Buffalo Sauce and removing the shredded cheese.
While this recipe is low-lactose, gluten free and completely grain free, it is not approved for the low FODMAP diet since it contains garlic, onions, and tomato paste (within the BBQ sauce).
As I mentioned, you will need to use spaghetti squash as one of the key ingredients in this casserole. Spaghetti squash is pretty easy to make, but can be intimidating if it is your first time. Here is a quick video to guide you through the process. To learn basically anything and everything you need to know about spaghetti squash, check out this amazing article.
This recipe complies with the following diets:
- Paleo – Yes – If you use Tessemae’s Paleo Buffalo Sauce
- SCD – Yes
- Low FODMAP – No
- Grain Free – Yes
- Gluten Free – Yes
- Dairy Free – No
- SIBO-Specific Diet – No
- Keto – No
This recipe makes 4 servings
Each serving includes: 525 calories, 87 g carbohydrates, 30 g protein, 10 g fat, and 11 g fiber.
- 2 cup cooked spaghetti squash
- 2 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- Grease an 8x8 baking dish. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the spaghetti squash, chicken, garlic cloves, garlic powder, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and bbq sauce.
- Whisk the egg in a separate bowl and then pour it over the rest of the ingredients and mix to combine.
- Place the mixture into the baking dish and spread it out evenly to the edges of the dish.
- Place a thin layer of sliced onions on top of the casserole. Place a layer of shredded cheese on top of the onions.
- Bake for ~30-minutes or until the cheese begins to brown. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool before slicing.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley.