Being on a special diet doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy sweet treats. These Grain Free Almond Butter Cookies are Paleo, Vegan, and Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) friendly! They take only minutes to make, and most of the ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
Tweak the Recipe:
Many people are following specific dietary protocols that only allow for specific ingredients. Let’s review how to modify this recipe to comply with some of the more popular diets for gastrointestinal health:
- Specific Carbohydrate Diet – Make this recipe as outlined below, no changes necessary
- Paleo Diet – Make this recipe as outlined below, no changes necessary
- Low FODMAP Diet – Make this recipe as outlined below, but use cane sugar or maple syrup as the sweetener in place of honey. Additionally, almonds and almond butter are a medium FODMAP food. After the initial elimination, you can work with a practitioner to see if you tolerate nuts in butters or flours.
How to Make Grain Free Almond Butter Cookies:
These almond butter cookies have all the melt-in-your-mouth goodness that you love about a classic peanut butter cookie, but they are grain and refined sugar free (two ingredients linked to disrupted GI heath).
This recipe takes only about 5 minutes of your time (not counting baking time). Preheat your oven to 350 degrees before you start. Mix the almond flour, baking soda, and salt together. Then, mix the almond butter, honey, vanilla and coconut oil together in a separate dish. Make sure your coconut oil is solid but soft. If it’s not, stick it in the refrigerator for a few minutes.
Stir your dry ingredients into your wet ingredients and mix until a dough forms. Drop rounded tablespoons onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and use a fork to make the criss cross pattern on top. I baked these for about 8-9 minutes and ended up with 12 cookies.
Let cool 5 minutes or so before eating (if you can wait that long!)
This recipe makes 12 cookies.
Per cookie: 159 calories, 10g carb, 4g protein, 13g fat, 2g fiber
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup natural almond butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (solid)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix flour, salt, and baking soda together.
- Mix almond butter, honey, coconut oil and vanilla together in a separate bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients into wet until well combined.
- Drop one tablespoon of the dough onto parchment lined baking sheet. Optional: Press tines of fork down on dough to create criss-cross pattern.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 9 minutes or until edges are golden brown
- Per cookie: 159 calories, 10g carb, 4g protein, 13g fat, 2g fiber