This simple lentil soup recipe makes for the perfect, well balanced lunch. It is flavorful and packed with nutrients like B-vitamins, iron, and zinc. Lentils are also rich in satiating protein and fiber with just 1/4 cup raw containing 12g of protein and 5g of fiber.
This recipe makes about 6 servings with each providing 215 calories, 13g of protein, 36g of carbohydrate, 3g of fiber and 3g of fat. For extra “bulk” I like to pour this soup over baby spinach or other leafy greens to add even more fiber and nutrients.
- 1 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 1, 32oz container of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon of oil or butter
- 1 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley or cilantro (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, add oil or butter to medium heat.
- Add the carrots and celery and saute for 5-minutes. Add the garlic and tomatoes and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broth and lentils to the pot and bring to a boil. Drop the heat to low and cover the pot with a lid, slightly tilted. Allow the lentils to cook for about 15-minutes or until they are soft and tender.
- Serve warm and top with chopped herbs.