Mung beans are PACKED with protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals. They have an earthy, hearty flavor and will certainly keep you feeling full and energized. This recipe is vegan, vegetarian, high fiber, high protein.
Perfect Mung Bean Soup
Write a review
- 1 tbsp sesame or olive oil
- 1 cup diced Vidalia onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 medjool date, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup fresh greens (kale, collards, spinach, beet greens, etc.), roughly chopped
- 1 cup soaked mung beans*
- 3 1/2 cup filtered water
- In a medium saucepan, add oil to medium heat. Then, saute onions, carrots and celery for ~5-minutes.
- Add seasonings to the mix: dates, lemon juice, spices, garlic, and ginger. Continue sauteing for another 5-minutes.
- Add chopped greens to the mix. Then, add water and mung beans. Bring the mixture to a boil, then drop to a simmer and cover. Cook for about 30-35-minutes or until mung beans are tender.
- *Place dried mung beans in a bowl and cover with room temperature water. Cover and allow to sit overnight (~8 hours). In the morning, strain the water and place soaked mung beans in a container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition by Erin https://nutritionbyerin.com/