Are you following the low FODMAP elimination diet and in search of some creative recipes? Well, look no further! This Veggie Rice Casserole makes for a great side dish that everyone can enjoy. It’s low lactose, gluten free, and gets you those low FODMAP-friendly vegetables.
To start the veggie rice casserole…
Get prepped. You’ll need to grate the zucchini and the winter squash (in this case I used acorn squash, but butternut squash works well, too). I set up my food processor and used the grating blade to speed this step up a bit. As for the rock-hard winter squash, I cut it in half, then used a hand grater to get about 1/2 cup of the raw squash.
You’ll also need to prep the rice. For this recipe I used arborio rice, but you can use any rice you have on hand. I cooked 1/2 cup dry in 2 cups of water until tender.
Load up the casserole…
Next, you combine the low lactose cheese. Many cheeses are considered low in lactose due to the fermentation process. However, the dose makes the poison. When using the serving sizes recommended for this recipe, each slice of casserole complies with the low FODMAP guidelines. You’ll use ricotta and parmesan cheese.
Mix the cheeses together with 2 eggs and some salt and pepper. Combine this mixture with the cooked rice and grated squash.
Now, load up the veggie rice casserole. Grease the bottom of a 9-inch square pan with some oil and then coat the bottom of the pan with gluten free breadcrumbs. Pour the casserole filling into the pan and spread out evenly. Top the casserole with another layer of breadcrumbs.
Bake the veggie rice casserole for 45-minutes on 350 degrees F, and then give it a 3-minute broil to brown the top. Allow the dish to cool for 5-10-minutes prior to slicing into 12 squares.
- 1/4 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup dry arborio rice
- 1/2 cup raw grated acorn or butternut squash
- 1 cup raw grated zucchini
- 1 cup raw chopped spinach
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch square pan with oil and sprinkle the breadcrumbs along the bottom to coat.
- Cook the rice by bringing 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the rice, cover with the lid, and bring the heat down to low. Cook for ~15-minutes or until the rice feels tender. Drain any excess water from the rice. Toss in the grated zucchini and squash and cover the pot with the lid. Set aside.
- Mix the eggs, cheese, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Add this mixture to the rice and veggies until well combined.
- Pour the casserole mixture into the pan and spread out evenly. Top the casserole with the rest of the breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 45-minutes. Then, turn oven to broil for another 3-minutes to brown the top. Allow the casserole to cool for 5-10 minutes prior to slicing.