This isn’t your average turkey burger…you have to try this Tangy Turkey Burger that’s packed with flavor from citrus, herbs and spices! You’ll also jazz up this lean burger with a tangy mayonnaise spread and crunchy veggies.
First, zest a small navel orange, and set it aside. Squeeze the juice out of the orange and place it in a separate bowl.
Next, chop up the freshly washed herbs including the greens of the scallions and cilantro. While you have that cutting board out, dice a small jalapeno. Remove the seeds prior to dicing if you can’t handle the heat!
Alright, now the prep work is behind you…that was easy.
Now, the Turkey Burgers
In a large mixing bowl, combine the lean ground turkey with orange zest, orange juice, sea salt, black pepper, scallions and a hint of ground ginger. A set of clean hands makes for a great mixing utensil here!
Set out a clean plate next to the mixing bowl. Now make 4 to 6 even sized burger patties and place them on the plate.
On medium heat add some cooking oil to a large saute pan. Cook the burgers for about 5 to 7 minutes on each side, or until cooked through completely and browned on the top and bottom.
If you don’t plan on eating all of the turkey burgers, freezing them is an excellent option!
Prior to cooking, wrap the turkey burger patties tightly in plastic wrap and then place them into a labeled freezer bag.
Then, the next time you’re craving a tangy turkey burger, just thaw the frozen burger patties in the refrigerator overnight and heat them up the next day.
If you make this burger on the SCD plan, be sure to exclude the bread and instead wrap the burger in lettuce or cabbage.
- 1 medium navel orange, zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions*
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 small jalapeno, finely diced, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup low fat mayonnaise
- 1 pound lean ground turkey**
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 to 2 tablespoons oil
- Toppings: sliced cabbage, tomatoes, jicama, etc. (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey with 1/4 teaspoon orange zest, 2 tablespoons orange juice, 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, 1/4 cup scallions, salt, pepper and ginger.
- Form 4 equal sized burger patties and set aside on a plate.
- Meanwhile, over medium-heat add 1-2 tablespoons of oil to a large saute pan. Cook the burgers for 5 to 7 minutes on each side. Make sure the top and bottom are browned and that the middle of burgers are cooked through completely.
- As you're waiting for the burgers to cook, mix together the tangy mayo. In a small mixing bowl add the mayo with 1/2 teaspoon orange zest, 2 tablespoons orange juice, and the rest of the chopped herbs and jalapeno.
- To plate the burger, spread 1 to 2 tablespoons of the tangy mayo to the bottom of the burger bun, then add the burger with crunchy toppings like sliced carrots, cabbage, or jicama.
- *If following the low FODMAP diet, only use the green portion of the scallion
- **In this recipe, I used 99% fat free ground turkey